Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wing Fairings

I had another beautiful day to work. I went out early today and had a lot less visitors. I normally don't work mornings because the sun comes in the hanger door until noon and it gets too hot.  I needed to make some patterns for the new wing fairings. I tried cardboard first but could not get it to work. I ended up fitting the original fairings and then taped paper on these to make them fit. These pictures show the process.
 

I will remove these patterns and make new fairings from these. There is a rubber weather strip that goes between this fairing and the windshield. I hope to cut these out tomorrow at the house. I then cleaned up a few details. I did not like the way the holes in the interior fabric looked for the aileron balance cable. It was a real hack job.
I made a circular patch from some black material and installed it with the carpet tape I bought for the cable chafe strips. I think it looks much better.
After this I replaced the control stick pivot bolts because there was some play in the control circuit. This tightened up the rear stick nice but the front one still has some play. That was about it for today, will work on fairings again tomorrow.

No comments: