Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Jury Struts

I'm not sure where today went, I sure don't have much to show for progress. I did manage to finish the right jury struts today. The problem with working at the airport is the visitors and the helpers. I'm going to make a sign for the hanger, "10 Minute Limit for Visitors, 5 Minute Limit for Helpers"! I guess people that have never assembled an airplane think that your doing it with your hands and that you can chat with them while you work? I can see why the local shop has a chain across the open hanger door. Oh well , back to the jury struts. The right side struts just barely hit the lower door when it opened. There is a cutout on the lower door to clear the struts due to the revised angle of the Clip wing struts. I guess I put a little too much fabric on the lower door cutout. I wanted to use the jury struts to push down the struts just slightly to provide clearance. I brought out two solid cinder blocks from home and used a ratchet strap  to pull the struts down while I installed the jury strut clamps. Worked like a charm and the door works fine now. I did not take a picture of this operation, but here is the right side finished.

Here is a shot of the struts and the cutout in the lower door.

With that completed I installed the fabric reinforcements where the aileron and rudder cables exit the wing and fuselage. I used double sided carpet tape to install these. If you use glue it seems to get everywhere and looks like crap. This might not work but I thought it was worth a try.

That was it for today. My parts order will be here tomorrow, maybe I will make some real progress.

No comments: