Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Painting Day 2

I've come to realize one of the shortcomings of the Croix HVLP system. That is, the air is on continuous. Even with the trigger released the same air flows through the nozzle. Pulling the trigger just introduces paint to the air stream. It's like walking around the the shop with an open air nozzle! If there is any loose dust around it's going to get blown on to your painted parts.
I decided to paint the wing fairings with some regular enamel paint that I had on hand. I only have enough Aerothane white left for the cowling, and I want it to match the boot cowling. While I waited for the morning fog to burn off I got the fairings ready to paint. The first coat went on great, but for some reason these little tiny bugs were drawn to the paint like a magnet! You can only see them if the light is just right, but I know their in there and it pisses me off. I will wait a few days and try to rub their fossils out. Considering the shop conditions , I guess these came out OK.
   
Unfortunately I got one sag on one of the Leading edge pieces. If I had spotted it in time I could have fixed it, but it was too dry by the time I noticed it. Most of this is covered by the rubber weatherstrip but I will probably have to sand it out and repaint. Opps!
I still had some time left after the white was tack free, so I went ahead and painted the black parts. Most of these parts are inside the cowling so the bugs did not matter.  These all came out OK.
The eyebrows came out better than I expected.
Not sure what I will work on tomorrow, might take a break from painting. The cowl is the only part remaining to paint, I think.

No comments: