Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cotter Pins

Last night at exactly 4:20 I came up with a brain storm on how to fix the aileron cables right. Heat shrink tubing! Since Mr. Solanberg neglected to install an inspection panel so you could access the balance cable pulley inside the wing, I was reluctant to attempt cable replacement.  My plan was to cut the nicopress off the aileron cable inside the cockpit , then join the butt ends of the old and new cable with heat shrink tubing. For added reinforcement, I wrapped the joint carefully with electrical tape, taking care not to increase the diameter too much. I  pulled the new cable through the wing and across the pulley. Worked like a charm. I then used my new old tool to install the inside nicopress, this tool is the bomb!
  This tool is really for 5 tucking but works good for this method too. The knob on the side opens and closes the jaws , the center thumb wheel adjusts the anvil clamp. It holds the cable and thimble tight while you squeeze the nicopress. Makes this a one person operation.
I also like to put a little heat shrink on the pigtail to keep it from fraying. Here's the finished product.
I then finished the end that attaches to the lower aileron horn. I added to the cable length so that no threads were showing on the turnbuckles.
And I did not have to install a funky spacer in the middle where everyone could see it.
The rest of the afternoon was spent installing a thousand cotter pins in all the joints in the aileron control system. All I have remaining here is to safety the turnbuckles. I will probably do this with 0.032 single wrap until I have it rigged just the way I want it. Since it was Saturday I had a lot of visitors(and advice) so this is all I got accomplished.

No comments: