Friday, May 6, 2011

Controls

Not really much visible progress today. The UPS man brought my Univair parts which included the aileron links. After lunch I went out and installed them. These are a substitute for the AN115 shackles that I could not bend to fit. These will work just fine.

With these finished I installed the bushings I made yesterday, I had some drilled bolts close but just one size too long! The long bushings keep the aileron cables off the wing strut.

I then spent the next couple hours trying to get the aileron rigging and control feel to suit me. I am going to have to make a short link to go in the balance cable joint otherwise a couple threads show on the lower turnbuckles. I think that will be less work than replacing a cable.
  I then spent some time checking the aileron and elevator control travels and checking them against the TCDS. I have them all within 2 degrees , which will be good for starters and I will fine tune them after it's flying. With all the bends in the wing ribs, the rigging was a series of compromises anyway. Check out the the aileron well root rib on the left side !
It bends up about 3/4 inch where they got the fabric too tight. The right side is straight.  It will take flight rigging to make all the subtle bends cancel out ! I installed some cotter pins and finished a few more details before the rain moved in and I had to knock off.

No comments: