Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Engine assembly

I ended up taking the weekend off from the Cub, but put in a full day on Monday. I started with installing the new data plate on the crankcase. This was a slow careful process as you have to drill the 6  #51 holes for the drive screws 0.190 in depth.  With that completed I bolted up the case and checked CSI's work on the line bore. My Chinese micrometers and bore gauge measured it out to within a 0.001 of spec, but it never hurts to check. With one final cleaning the case was ready for assembly.
I then measured the crankshaft before installing the connecting rods. I had done this before but somehow lost the paper I wrote it down on. I measured the rod journals then set my dial bore gauge from the micrometer , that made it easy to to measure the rod bearing clearance.
   
No, I did not pull a Don, Superior made these bearings mechanic proof. They put the oil hole in all of them! I ended up putting in new rod bolts and nuts, I just did not like the old ones that came from Gibson Aviation. I will use those in a 65 since they only have 47 hours on them. I then installed the rods, torqued the nuts, and installed the cotter pins. The crankshaft is ready for assembly. Along in here I just started working and forgot about taking pictures. Needless to say there is a lot of work to get to this point, here is the 2-4 side ready for sealant and thread.
  The camshaft and lifters are installed and lubricated. The main bearings shells are installed along with the thrust bearings and the crankshaft nose seal. In accordance with TCM's latest SB this side gets a thin coat of Permatex 3D, just enough to hold the sealing thread. This shot shows the thrust washers and nose seal.
  The 1-3 side gets a 0.010 coat of Loctite 515, not sure about the mixed sealant but that is what they call for. I think when I did the Trojan engine 10 years ago they only called for Loctite 518, because I had to special order it and I still have it. Not sure why they changed, the Trojan has not leaked a drop in 10 years. Here's the 1-3 side.
You can see the cut off starter pinion installed at the right . In this shot you can see the camshaft thrust bearings, more on this later.
After a few hours work we end up with this!
Here it is with the through bolts and flange bolts torqued. Next comes the gears and rear case, then the cylinders. Unfortunately, at this point I noticed a unusual scraping noise when the camshaft is rotated. I decided to sleep on it and check it again in the morning.

No comments: