Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fairings Complete

Started today working on the engine. I cleaned the crankshaft, rods, rod bolts and nuts, and the lifters prior to assembly. This weekend when my town is overrun with people( what recession?) I will be assembling my engine. Since they subsidize my taxes I try to stay out of their way! After lunch I went out to work on the airframe. I started by installing the stupid customs placard on the tail, of course the first spot I selected had a piece of tubing behind the last hole I punched ! Here it is, the tape is covering the extra hole.
There is a 0.025 doubler on the inside, that's as permanent as it gets on a fabric covered airplane. After searching the web, it seems the FAA refuses to enforce this requirement for the customs service. Next I hit the wing fairings and the skylight hard and except for a few details it is finished. There were a few screws I could not tighten with out help. It was late evening when I finished so I had to roll her out for some pictures.
  I still need to install the sheet metal covers over the cabane structure after I get all the screws tightened. I had to install a few rivnuts where the screw holes were really large. I ended up with just 1 #10 screw where there was not enough edge distance for the rivnut. I'm not fond of rivnuts but it was my only option here.
  Here is a shot of the smoked skylight, I think the dark spot in the center is the reflection of the prop because there is no gap there.

Here is a shot from the inside, looks good.
Here are a few shots while it was outside, I think she looks pretty good!



Still a lot of details to complete, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel!

No comments: