Thursday, May 19, 2011

Painting Day 4

Today was a marathon painting day, started at 10:30, short break for lunch and finished cleaning the gun at 8 PM. I started with the leading edge fairings, I had stripped the left down to the epoxy primer and sanded the right smooth. I shot these with a single coat of single part enamel paint. The left came out great, but the right one lifted the existing paint. I ended up stripping that one down to the epoxy primer using the reducer as before.
  With that complete, I searched my stock and found a really nice skull cap spinner. I thought a white one would look better than a polished finish. Of course it was red so it had to be stripped and preped for paint.
  I then started on the cowl. My original plan was to paint the inside flat on the painting screen, then flip them over onto some old boxes for painting of the outside. The inside paint went smooth, but I came to realize the paint would not dry quick enough for the box idea. I ended up hanging them via safety wire from the ceiling joists and tying  them to the painting screen for support. This worked really nice. Here are a few shots.
The vertical position virtually eliminates trash in the paint, but is more susceptible to runs and sags.

 With these suspended like this the edges were real easy to paint. I did the edges first then shot the three coats as per the directions. They came out OK but will need a little spot putty around a few of the rivets. The Stits primer is essentially insignia white. Here they are all primed.
Like I said the rivets and the cracks will need a little work. 
I will probably have to let this dry for a day before I fill these and paint the Insignia white Aerothane. Overall I think it will look OK. Here are some more shots.
Sure will not be any problem spotting oil leaks!
The top cowl came out pretty nice too.
One more day of painting should do it! Depending on how this cures , I may finish tomorrow. Since I finished so late it may need a day to cure properly for filling and sanding.  If that is the case I will start assembly of the wing fairings tomorrow . 
 
 

No comments: