Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Final Assembly

Sorry got sidetracked yesterday with some garden chores and did not get a whole lot done on the Cub. My friend Matt came by and helped me put the grommets in the cowl. I decided to leave these the natural brass color so when they need to be replaced I can just grind the old one out and put a new one in without repainting. Today I worked at the airport, I started with the placards on the struts for AD compliance. This completes the wing strut AD for the next 2 years .
The rear strut placard is closer to the front because the door rubs the strut a little and there is a strip of clear plastic tape to protect the strut paint. I then worked on the wing root fairings, some how I forgot to take out the skylight so this did not get completed today. I finished the top aft and the two bottom sides.
Here is the right side.
And the left side, they came out pretty nice.
I was finished here for the day so I did a check fit on the exhaust and cowl. I Emailed Clyde yesterday to see which way the exhaust pipe 45 degree cut off tip faced. Some airplanes like the Cessna 150 have this face into the wind while the Cub faces aft. Everything seems to fit just fine.
With this fitting I should be able to figure out where the anti chafe strip needs to be installed. Here's the other side.
In this shot you can see the grommets installed, I think they look OK natural finish.
Tomorrow I will work at home on the engine in the morning when the sun is beating in the hanger door and after lunch will work to finish the skylight and wing fairings.

No comments: