Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lathe Work

Finally got back on the Cub today, after taking a few days off. The local FBO has this sweet little Atlas Lathe and they let me use it . The sad thing is , I think I'm the only one that does use it. The boys in the shop were jamming some metal music, so I just pretended I was the Moultrie manic mechanic and actually knew what I was doing, NOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEwPL0ogjLw


  I needed to cut off the starter pinion shaft for the engine and make two 1 inch bushings for the front strut aileron pulley bracket. I decided to cut the pinion shaft for the Skytec starter installation. I do not see how this could be done after engine assembly without contamination of the oil system. This will limit this engine to only the Skytec lightweight starter but that is not a bad thing . I used a simple parting tool for this cut.
I had bought a couple of these off of Ebay in poor condition so I did not have to ruin a good one. I made two, the first one was for practice but came out just fine.
I then made the two bushings from some 3/4 aluminum round stock I had. I parted off two pieces, then faced them off to length. I then bored the 5/16 hole. They came out pretty nice.
  Here they are all finished up.
After this was finished I used their Chinese 3 in one tool to shear and bend the new wing root fairings. I made these from some 0.025 6061-T4 stock I had . They just fit on the 36 inch machine. They came out much better than I could have done with snips and 2 by 4's. They still need final trimming.
Tomorrow will be all wing root fairings, check back for progress.

No comments: