Sunday, May 22, 2011

Painting Completed

Took a couple of days off from the Cub for other errands. Today I put in a full day of painting. I started with the remaining wing leading edge fairing. I shot that with a couple coats of regular enamel paint. I then went to work on the cowl. I started by pushing a little lacquer spot putty into the voids around some of the rivets and patches with a rubber squeegee. I allowed this to dry during lunch then wet sanded it all smooth. Here it is all sanded.

After sanding, it got a good blow dry, a wipe down with 2210 cleaner and a tack rag just before paint. I mounted these on some old boxes I had around , it is much less difficult when your only painting one side.


 I also added a sheet of plastic above the parts and sprayed the floor with water just before painting.

 It was time to mix paint and I almost thought the day was over when I opened the can of activator. The Aerothane mixes 3 to 1 instead of 2 to 1 like the primer. I had 2.5 oz of activator so I used 7.5 oz of base component. Once again I followed the directions and had no problems. The only down side to this paint is you have wet paint for almost 2 hrs while you wait 30 minutes between coats. I don't care how careful you are your going to get some trash/bugs. Overall it came out pretty nice.
Ya see that black spot next to the Carb. air intake ? It's this little guy.
 I thought about picking him out but have never had good luck at that. I will just brush him off tomorrow and polish it out in a week or so.
You can still see the patches if the light is just right. It will be just fine for the beater Cub. The top came out good, could have a little more gloss but my light was not real good so I did not put the paint on as heavy. There is a fine line between just right and too much.
  That was it for today, this week will be assembly work at the airport and engine assembly at home. I am just glad to be done painting, here is the BC checking out my "new" white shoes! My paint suit covers everything but my shoes.


No comments: