Thursday, April 14, 2011

Another pair

In typical pilot "one up man ship" my friend Scott had a model photo shoot at his hanger last week. I missed it because I thought "some guy wants to take pictures with a model" meant a model airplane !
I finally got back to work on the Cub this week. I had some family events and just kinda lost interest for some reason. This last repair to the nose bowl had me in a mental block, but I finally started on it today. I decided to make an internal doubler for the carburetor and heater air intake. Since it is a compound curve I used some 0.032 2024-0 metal I had on hand. I cut it oversize then formed it into the cowl. I was going to use two pieces but it came out OK using one. It is still oversize in this shot.
  I then trimmed this to size. I am still debating the number of rivets and the type. I think 470 rivets would be best for crack resistance but flush would look a lot better. I will probably put this in with some epoxy also. Here it is with the air intake trimmed to shape. I still need to trim the inside to make it look professional.
I'm not sure about the double row on the sides, I may go double with half the number of rivets. Every hole is a crack waiting to happen. Tomorrow is supposed to be another beautiful day, hopefully I will get this finished. 

No comments: