Saturday, April 16, 2011

Eyebrows

Could not force myself to finish the cowl today, the weather was too bad to work with the door open and I really need the extra room for that job. Everything is finished except for the final riveting. I'm still debating the use of some epoxy on these doublers. I went with counter sunk rivets. Here are a couple shots of the completed parts.
Today I worked on the eyebrows. These have a tendency to crack due to the increased wind load and prop wash on the 90 HP cubs . Since the eyebrows that came with the project looked almost new, I figured I would do this now to save problems later. You can see in this picture the very small bearing area of the steel tabs that attach the eyebrow to the cylinder. You can see that this one is already cracked.
I made 4 triangular shaped doublers from 0.032 2024-T3 aluminum to go between the steel tab and the eyebrow to help distribute the loads.
Here is the right side  ready to rivet after I put on a little primer tomorrow.
 I finished both sides. This side required a little forming an trimming to fit.

 The rest of the evening was spent watching some fantastic thunderstorms roll through.
Tomorrow will be painting and riveting day, hopefully these two projects will be finished.

No comments: