Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Got Tail ?

Since my hanger faces NNE, and the sun is brutal in the morning, I decided to go out after lunch today. I started by cleaning and lubricating all the trim mechanism components. It's my understanding that this is a problem area on the clipwings because of increased loading. Everything got cleaned and fresh grease, the stabilizer leading and trailing edge tubes got some Boeshield , then the stabilizers were installed.  I then installed the bracing wires and did an initial rigging on the stabilizer. The elevators were then installed and the controls hooked up. Of course I forgot to bring out the manual and my cable tension tool so I did not get it all finished. Here are a few shots.
There is all new hardware installed in the control circuit.
The Univair stainless tail brace wires are really sweet and worth every penny.
I need to sit down and go over this with the parts manual in hand, this was all wrong when I bought the project. When it looks right , I just need a few cotter pins and safety the turnbuckles and she's ready to button up. I will probably take tomorrow off, check back Friday for more progress.

No comments: