Saturday, April 30, 2011

In the sun

Yesterday, I mentioned the one man rigging tool I had to make because all my buds were at VA EAA.
Here are a couple shots, worked great.
The nice feature is that even if the jack/wood rig fails it can only fall to this position.
This morning I did some research on the aileron control system, I could not modify the AN115 shackles to work like it showed in the parts manual. I decided to go with the PA11 setup which uses two flat pieces of steel on either side of the stick control arm. I found these in the Univair catalog for $5.31 . I made a couple of test parts from some scrap to see how it worked. After lunch I went out and assembled the aileron control system. After correcting a few minor discrepancies, I think it will be OK. With that complete I did one last rigging check before I took it down from the jacks/stands. The rig is set between what the STC calls for(1&1) and what a Vagabond uses(2&2 1/2). The dihedral is set at 1.5 degrees and the washout is a blond hair more that 1.5 degrees. With that checked, I  fitted all the original wing root fairings and marked them for modification or re-manufacture. I will probably make 4 new, but these are easy flat sheet. I needed to vacate the loaner hanger so the rest of the afternoon was spent cleaning up and moving back into my hanger. Here are a few shots of her out in the sun.




I will probably have to take the next couple days off. Sunday I have to return a favor owed and Monday I will have to catch up on yard chores. I will hit her hard again next week, check back for updates.

No comments: