Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Early morning

Got up today at the crack of dawn for the trip to the airport. Everything went smooth and only saw one cop,  he must have been dreaming of donuts because he never even looked. I dropped the fuselage in front of the hanger and headed home for breakfast and morning chores. Here she is at the hanger.
Here is a shot of the 4 point towing setup. Two ratchet straps go aft and two froward. They all attach to the tailwheel fork that way the fuselage can pivot in turns. The two slack straps going forward are just safety straps. You have to be careful to tie far enough aft in the bed so that the sharpest turn does not hit the side of the bed. Tows great like this.
I spent the morning working to get the garage ready for engine assembly. After lunch I loaded up the tail feathers and went out to work on hanger. The goal for the afternoon was to make room for the fuselage. It only took about 3 hrs work and 2 hours of bullshitting with airport bums to get er done. I think there might actually be infinite space in a T hanger because no matter how I try I can't seem to fill this one! It will still take some work to make room for wing assembly and to get the tail in the right way.
Lucky for me the airport manager has a fork lift to move this.
The bridgeport and the loose fabric on the Commonwealth are all that's holding up wing assembly.  She sure looks good in the hanger. The fuselage went home August 29, 2010, not sure why it took 8 months but were getting there SLOW but sure.

Tomorrow morning the tail goes on for final assembly. Check back for pictures. I think I'll try to take BC out to the hanger one day to see if he likes it, lots of stuff to sniff in there. He's really not crazy about riding in the car.

No comments: