Monday, November 22, 2010

More painting

As I mentioned before , I was not happy with the way the red tape lines turned out on the lower door.

With the forecast for upper 60's today, I decided to repaint the Polytone white and fix the spots where the red bled under the fine line tape. With the red well cured , I applied the fine line tape to the red areas, there was a perfect sealing ridge between the red and the white. I shot one cross coat of Insignia White and it came out great. The Polytone dries much faster than the Aerothane , so it did not really have time to bleed under.
This finishes the lower door, it came out really nice.

While I was waiting for this to dry, I prepared some parts for primer that I need to finish the windshield installation. I got the two windshield strips, one belly panel, two elevator links and the gascolator clamp ready for paint. When I mixed the primer , I used a small fine brush and primed the spots on the fuselage frame that I sanded and treated on Saturday. I then shot two coats on the other parts. Here they are ready for paint.
Same set up as before in the door with the box fan blowing out.

This was it for today, with it getting dark(and cold) at 5, it really cuts down the progress. Tomorrow is supposed to be another warm day and I hope to paint the gear leg and windshield strips white, the fuselage spots black, and the dash and aft panel flat black. If I get all this completed it will be ready for final assembly.
Here's a shot of my helper, he's worn out.

No comments: