Sunday, November 21, 2010

Minor disaster

Not much progress to report on Saturday, I actually took a small step backwards. I had planned not to mess with the landing gear vee's because these would be easy winter recover project. They always seem to crack  long before the rest of the plane because of the slipstream beating on them constantly.  However my buddy came by and convinced me that it would be an easy rub out and repaint. Well , he was WRONG. Seems someone repainted these with a spray can , the more I rubbed on the cracks the worse it got. I finally got it repaired and sanded out and ready for repaint. I will have to shoot this with aerothane, because of the mixed process. Since this will not really look much better than before, I chalk this up as wasted time. Here it is ready to paint.
I also worked on the interior some today. When the Coastal boys let her sit outside all the exposed steel got some surface rust. Nothing serious , just everywhere the paint was worn off. Like this,
I sanded down the best I could all these spots. It will be ready to paint tomorrow when it's supposed to be 70 F. I also attempted to scrub off all that white over spray on the floorboards. The last guy that painted the left sidewall did not take the time to mask off before he painted(like I did). What a mess. I managed to get this looking acceptable. That killed the time allotted to the cub on Saturday. Probably take tomorrow off.
 Since BC is more popular than the Cub , here he is.

No comments: