Friday, October 15, 2010

Success and disappointment

Made a (very) little progress on the Cub yesterday. Started working on the Carb heat cable and well. It was all in good shape and everything went pretty smooth. Here it is all installed.
After finishing this I decided to install the fuel tank and hook up the fuel shutoff control. With the boot cowl off this is easy to get to. If you remember, all these parts were completed in previous posts. Hopefully all this will be trouble free for years. Here it is , works great.

When I got home from lunch there was a package on my front porch. I finally received the set of bungee covers I ordered from Airtex 3 weeks ago. Cool that will finish off the landing gear ! I really was not expecting much from Airtex and that is exactly what I got. When I took the first one from the box , something fell off. When I looked closer , one of the snaps that holds it on was improperly swaged and had fallen off! Here is a picture of it right out of the box.
I am completely unimpressed with the overall fit and finish. Along the main seam there are 5 snaps and they were not even close to straight. So I pick up the phone to call them, to add insult to injury , while I'm on hold I have to listen to this sales pitch about their quality products and FAA approval! Mike says, send it back and they will fix it? This is just another example of a family business run into the ground by the children. I ordered a set of these from Univair last week, I may just bite the bullet on the 15% restocking fee and let Airtex keep their set.  
After shipping these back I was so steamed I lost motivation on the Cub. Since it was kinda cold and rainy I spent the afternoon watching TV with my bud.

No comments: