Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Insignia White Paint

With the really warm weather scheduled to break tomorrow I spent the day painting. Started the day putting some tapes on the lower door while I waited for the temperature to rise and the humidity to drop. By 11:00 it was about perfect and I shot the White paint on the inside of the right gear leg. This really came out good for the amount of prep that went into this. This completes the gear except for bleeding the brakes.

I sure like butyrate dope more than that Stits MEK based rubber cement process. If I could figure a way to beat the humidity problems this is all I would use.
After letting this dry a little , I rolled the fuselage to the door and got ready to shoot the Aerothane white on the inside. I had to use Aerothane because it had been touched up in several spots and without knowing what type of paint they used this was the best bet. Of course all the surface imperfections show through the paint a little but it's much better than it was. I sprayed as per the instructions so it took almost 2 hours with a 20 minute wait between coats. By waiting for the previous coat to tack up , I had no problems with runs even with the really poor light inside the fuselage. Tomorrow I will start touching up the black in a few spots and will start putting her back together.

I finished this painting about 4 PM, and with the solvents and the heat , I was done. After dinner I went out and removed the tape and plastic. Here are a couple shots.

Tomorrow I will reassemble the trim system and the fuel shut off lever. I'm still waiting on some parts from Univair  for the throttles. The black paint I will just touch up with a brush. There is still lots to do but I am making progress ! Here is a shot of me and my helper waiting  between coats.
BC wanted to say HI ! to his Mom. Here he is.

No comments: