Monday, October 18, 2010

More rubber cement

Well I usually don't work much on the weekends But the Redskins did not play until 8:30 so I worked on the door a little. After the yard chores I finished taping the lower door, I bet I have close to 6 hours in stitching and taping this door! I'm not sure why it took so long, there are a lot of corners and nooks and crannies. It came out fine for the beater Cub, not Grand Champion but airworthy. Today I moved the fuselage outside and shot the two spray coats of rubber cement(poly-brush) . Here I am giving it a little QA inspection.

The college kids next door call this the Ghost Buster suit. Here is the finished product, of course the inside came out much nicer than the outside!

Since the weather was beautiful and I had to wait for this to dry, I decided to strip some paint. The boot cowl is almost finished so I needed to strip some previous owners failed attempt at painting. Thank goodness they just used spray cans , that made it a fairly easy job. I got these great gloves at Harbor Freight to protect my arms from the inevitable splash of stripper. Cool huh !
These windshield strips took the most time, I lost count of how many coats/colors of paint I removed.
The used plastic is great for stripping and sandblasting. It's way too "dusty" to use for painting again.
Here is the boot cowl all stripped .
This is about it for the day, after the painting and then having my feet wet for 2 hours I was done for the day. Depending on the accuracy of the weather man, I will either work on the boot cowl or shoot Poly-Spray tomorrow. Really need to finish the fabric work before it gets too cold. The lower door will finish all the fabric.

No comments: