Monday, October 11, 2010

More tape and plastic




With the beautiful weather I continued with the Randolph process painting . I sanded the butyrate dope I sprayed on Saturday and shot a coat of Randofill silver on the patches on the right gear leg. Again , I'm not putting a lot of time into this, just looking for an airworthy finish. It is in a difficult place to paint with the brake line at the top and the bungee strut at the bottom. Here it is after sanding the silver.

Here it is after the final coats of silver and ready for white tomorrow. Not sure how this will turn out, the remaining inside gear leg is so stained and nasty. Good thing you can't really see it !

The rest of the day was spent on a very long run for a very short slide! A while back, I decided to repaint the left inside of the fuselage. I did that because that is what you see when you look into the cockpit from the door side. It was really in rough shape having been patched and repainted in several spots. I sanded the surface as smooth as I could and repaired a couple bad spots and holes. Just like the stripes , I had to mask off the entire inside of the airplane, it took hours. I will shoot this with Aerothane tomorrow, hopefully it will look better than when I started. Here is the side wall sanded and masked for paint.




 This was a real pain in the ass to mask off.
After dinner I had a little energy left so I added the reinforcing tape and rib stitched the lower door , I will put the tapes on this tomorrow while the inside paint is drying. This is the first time I've used the flat waxed cord from Stits, went OK thanks to some EAA how to videos !

No comments: