Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fitting interior placards

Today was spent completing some of the interior . After studying  the parts manual, I managed to figure out the throttle friction system. I have all the parts except some of the fiber friction washers are worn slam out. I had to order these from Univair so were looking at least a week delay. I will have everything ready when they get here. I assembled the throttles just to check how everything fit, the placards just look OK. Fine for the beater Cub.

 After that I worked on the trim placard, all this went pretty smooth. The only thing I don't like is the crank escutcheon cover from Univair covers some of the writing. Operationally it works great. Here it is all assembled.
Next I worked on the fuel shut off lever. I took the best parts from three of these I had bought off of Ebay over the last couple years. Univair wants $212 for the shut off cable. I cleaned and lubricated the cable housing and assembled it with the painted knob and cable. It was hard to get this into the fuselage recess without bending the soft aluminum where the cable housing goes through. With some patience I managed to get it looking acceptable. Works great.
Here is a shot of the whole left side of the inside fuselage.

The rest of the afternoon was spent putting the finishing tapes on the lower door, almost got it finished. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the strut cutout on the door look professional. It's a tricky compound curve.
I really can't stand the  MEK fumes anymore so I wear my HobbyAir all the time now.
That's it for today, supposed to be rainy tomorrow so I will probably work on the boot cowling.

No comments: