Monday, September 27, 2010

Distractions

I have not updated for a while because there has been no real progress. Friday, I finished shrinking the fabric on the door to 350 degrees then applied the first coat of poly brush. I'm not sure what I did wrong, I had the door flat when I put the stuff on and it looked great. When I went to turn it over it was obvious that too much had gone thru the fabric and was running on the inside. The manual say's that is OK as long as it does not drip thru and dry on the inside of the opposite side. It was so hot, and this disappointment took the wind out of my sails and progress came to a halt. I decided to let this dry a couple days and then evaluate it again. Here it is , I sure got penetration.!
After looking at some other doors, I've decided to put a couple stitches on the two tubes I welded in. This should help with the paint cracking on the other doors I looked at. It's easy to get discouraged by this Stits process, it really looks like shit before the final paint goes on. You won't see any of this when the Poly spray goes on.
Saturday morning I flew the Trojan down to Franklin to the EAA pancake breakfast, the wind was blowing out of the SW so it was a 83 mph trip down at 1500 ft. Trojan man really likes this girl so I parked him close. I told him she looks like she's got issues to me, but he does not care.
The same owner that let this happen also owns this "unlucky lady". If you search the web you will see that both of these were really nice airplanes just a few years ago.
  Sunday was spent watching football, yet another disappointment. The Redskins suck for another year.
It finally started to rain today, it's been a long time since it has rained here . So I made a trip down to Harbor Freight to replace the paint shaker. I  decided to take this one apart to see if it would help trouble shoot mine.
However the design has been changed, mine has two separate poppet type valves and the new one has only one flapper type valve. Here's a shot of the new one.
By comparing the two it is obvious that the piston O ring in mine is worn out. I will have to try and find a metric replacement as my SAE replacement is a little too small. I decided to go cheap with the replacement and I will fix my first one as a backup. With the amount of painting on this project , I can't get by without it.
I hope to make some progress tomorrow. Not much else to do with the rain.

No comments: