Monday, September 13, 2010

Another Alcohol related tragedy

Not much progress to report this weekend, got sidetracked by other projects. Friday was spent down at Wakefield where I keep the Trojan. I've  been having some trouble with my "date" car, guess it has not been getting enough use ! Even though I keep a little 100LL in her, the fuel still went bad and I had to remove the carburetor and filter for cleaning.
The Solex 30PICT-1 carb is dirt simple and made completely of metal so you can dunk the whole thing in carb cleaner. Here it is all completed.
I let the date bike set too long also, and the Carb had to come off for cleaning. I noticed a fuel smell and found the balance line between the fuel tanks had succumb to the new alcohol fuel.   It was pretty ugly.
I had to cut the line to get the tank off the frame, but you can see how the line just fell apart.  Of course the keihin carb was all clogged up and I spent most of today going through it. For some reason they decided to make the fuel inlet fitting out of plastic? That is the only fixed plastic part so you can't put the whole body in the carb cleaner. I had to replace this crappy fitting once already. Here it is all ready to go.
You can see the plastic fuel inlet fitting.
I did get a little work done on the Cub on Saturday, I finished out the tailwheel. I took it completely apart, checked and lubricated it and got it back together and installed. A long time ago I made this cool tool to lubricate the bearings on a Maule solid tailwheel. I can't remember if I made this on the lathe or if it was just an axle I had from a larger tailwheel. Here is a picture of it.
It works great, just a couple pumps on the grease gun and your done.
Here is the overhauled tailwheel, new tail spring and bracket, installed with all new hardware.
This shot is a little blurry but you can see the new spring and bracket.
Of course Sunday was rainy and a great day to watch football and cook some grub for this week! How about those Redskins !!!!! I did take some time to order the remaining items I need to complete this weeks projects. I should be back on the boot cowl tomorrow.

No comments: