Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Door repairs completed

Today I completed the structural repairs to the lower door. I started the day working on the fuel system, I did not want to use one of those cheap hardware store unions from the finger strainer to the valve elbow, so I ordered a AN fitting from A/C Spruce. Here are the fittings trial fitted.
This fitting looks much stronger , and can be tightened individually because it has wrenching flats. The problem is that it is slightly longer and the fuel valve shutoff lever is now out of alignment with the shutoff cable. To fix this I had to reverse the bend/joggle in the actuating arm. Here it is after bending.
  It all lines up good now and should work smooth. The fuel valve and the rear tank drain are now permanently installed.
At lunch time I went out to hunt down the springs needed to finish the door. No luck at Home Depot, nothing at Lowes, finally found em at Ace Hardware. With the new springs I was able to finish the door locking pins.
Here they are all done.
Here they are installed, everything works great.
After I do some painting of the hidden areas I will weld these two actuating rod pieces together.
All this mechanism works smooth and easy, a marked improvement from what I started with. The lower door is now ready for sand blast and paint, it will be recovered with Stits process.
I spent the remainder of the day working on the boot cowl. I fitted the firewall  cover pad and cut the holes where the controls go through. I then fitted the engine mount to measure the new bolts I will need here. With the mount on I fitted the cowl to see how things fit. It will take some work, but I think the cowl will work.
Here's a picture of it together.
I finally came up with an easy way to fix the two rows of stripped screw holes on the boot cowl. I will show you on my next update. Tomorrow is a Cub free day, I have to work on the brakes on the Trojan.
My role model says, I've been working too hard anyway.

No comments: