Monday, September 20, 2010

Tail completed

Today I officially completed the tail (I think) . Every one of the cover plates I made for the tail had some amount of red on them. This morning I installed each one and taped them off for painting. I also installed the stencils I got from Univair on the Hub caps and I mask off the door to paint the hinges. The rest of the door is covered with fabric but I realized last night that the hinges needed to be painted before covering. Here they are all taped up ready for paint.
Here are the hub caps with the Univair precut stencils.
Here they are after spraying with Red paint.
Here are the door hinges painted.
The tail panels came out OK with just a little trash and some minor bleed through at the tip of the points.
The hub caps did not come out very good, the stencil was not compatible with the slow drying paint I used. It really needed a fast dry paint to minimize bleed under. They will look OK from 15 ft.
It's better than I could do freehand but not what I expected for the cost of the stencils. I also painted the fuel shutoff knob since I had the paint.
I had a little set back on the black items I painted the other day. The regular enamel paint I usually bake on in the oven. However when I heated the trim handle the paint bubbled up and ruined the finish. I guess the cast pot metal they used to make this is porous , it was fine until I heated it.
So do you think Stits wants to get rid of the Randolph Enamel paint line. Hows this label for salesmanship ??
That's it for today , slow but steady progress. Did you miss BC, he was back with the penguins !

No comments: