Thursday, December 2, 2010

Windshield details

Been working on the windshield for the last two days. Trying to finish all the details that will be much more difficult after it is installed. After the rain stopped yesterday it stayed warm just long enough for me to get a little white dope sprayed on the spots I messed up drilling the windshield. I also touched up one spot that the boot cowl did not cover up.

With this completed , I needed to make the covers for the wing attachment bolts at the center of the fuselage. These were missing with the project, so using some pictures and card board patterns I made a set to fit this airplane. This would have been near impossible with the windshield installed. I still have a few screw holes to drill , and of course they have to be painted. I laid all this out on my helpers bed this morning when it was still too cold to work outside. I think he has lost interest in the Cub.
It took some cutting and grinding but I got them to fit pretty good. Here's the front one, it fits just behind the top of the windshield and covers the wing attach bolts.
and here is the back one.
I will take a picture tomorrow of these installed . Last week I helped the local mechanic with a mag timing problem, so today I called in the favor and borrowed their Harbor Freight shear/press brake to make some parts. The two strips of metal that cover the windshield side attach screws were both in pretty sad shape so I made a couple new ones. Here is a shot of the old ones, they were all cracked at the screw locations and all the screw holes in the fuselage structure were stripped.
Here are the new ones made on the press brake. They came out much better than I expected. I will drill the new screw holes tomorrow. These are just painted flat black so I will just spray can these.
With all this completed I will be ready to install the windshield for an extended trial fitting, hopefully tomorrow.
Check back in for some pictures. That's it for tonight, slow but steady progress.

No comments: