Sunday, December 5, 2010

Windshield completed

Not a whole lot of progress this weekend, however I try to do something everyday. On Saturday it was clear and sunny but cold, so I disassembled the windshield and spent a couple hours grinding , filing, sanding, and polishing all the edges. Hopefully this will keep it from cracking in service. With my coveralls on I could do this outside and that kept the mess out of the shop. Saturday evening we had our regular airport Christmas party. On Sunday morning I woke up to this scene.
The perfect Virginia snow, gone by noon! I got a late start, but I finally installed the windshield for an extended trial fitting. Before I installed the small triangular left side window I installed a vista vent from Aircraft Spruce. I tested on the scrap piece of plexiglass and found the 2 1/2 inch hole saw melted the material and made an ugly hole, so I ended up using my small fly-cutter. I installed this at the top of the window because when you sit in the back, it would be in your line of sight when landing at the bottom. It really looks much better than the cheap snap vents.
I did run out of 1/2 inch #6 screws, so I will have to replace some too short screws, but it is in!
 
 I plan to replace this piece of fairing, the holes are really ugly. I will install nut plates for the wing root fairing screws. Tomorrow I plan to work on the skylight and that will finish the windows.
While I was working on the windshield I got a brainstorm on how to fix my static system problem. I wanted to install a static system to eliminate the airspeed/altitude change with window/door position. The problem is the sensitive altimeter is longer than the original and a regular AN fitting would hit the back of the fuel tank. I decided to use a standard brass cored pipe plug and make my own fitting. I used my drill press to drill one of the wrench flats #12 almost all the way through. I soldered in a length of 3/16 copper tubing, then drilled the center through with a #40 drill. Here are a couple pictures of the end product.
 
Here it is installed, fits great and has adequate clearance with the fuel tank.
Sometime this week I should install the fit up engine. Check back in, were making progress.


No comments: