Saturday, December 4, 2010

More windshield

Started out this morning finishing the interior covers. I wanted to use the existing screw holes in the fuselage structure and that always takes more time. Using a few tricks and a lot of luck these came out looking respectable. Here is a shot of the aft cover.
Here is the front cover, they are finished except for a little smoothing and paint.
I then worked on the two windshield attachment post channels I made yesterday. I had to drill new screw holes for these because the old ones were stripped. This would have been impossible with the windshield installed. Here is the right one installed.
Here is the left one , it is cut out at the top and bottom for the pitot lines and mag switch wires. I'm still not sure how you get the screws in with the windshield installed.
I hoped to get the windshield installed today, but that did not work out. The little triangular window on the left side kinda kicked my butt. There is a lot going on at this left post where the windows overlap and three trim strips meet. I had to make some value judgments and I think I made the best decision. Here is the spot that took so long to sort out.
The three trim strips, the boot cowl, the windshield and the side window all meet here. I've looked at a lot of Cubs and every one is a little different at this spot. Here is what I ended up with, it will look better over time as the screw pressure bends the plexiglass to shape.
I plan to install a "vista" vent in this little window, people say it is hot in the front seat with the overhead skylight. I also fitted up the right side and the door fits good. Tomorrow I will remove all this and do some final polishing of the edges on the windshield then put it back together with some foam sealing tape.
That was it for progress today. My helper pussed out on me, said it was too cold!

No comments: