Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mockup engine installed

Been a while since I posted, had a lot of distractions this week. One of my outdoor cats disappeared for a few days so I had to put out an Amber alert . He showed up this morning, but is limping a little and won't let me get hold of him. I'll give it a few days and if he gets worse , I will have to trap him. Here is a shot of him, his name is Mr. Chicopee.
Been making some progress on the Cub, it has been really cold with highs only in the 30's so my work time has been limited to daylight hours. When it's dark and cold , I just don't feel like working.  I have been plumbing the instruments and finishing the panel. I have a bunch of fittings and parts on order for Friday delivery. I should be able to finish the panel this weekend. Here is a shot of the final installation.
The "g" meter has glare on it from the flash. The primer , oil pressure and temperature still need a little detail work on the plumbing. The tank now has 2 gal of 100 LL in it and is leak free so far. Still need to run the pitot and static lines, the material will be here tomorrow. The screws to complete the windshield install will also be here tomorrow. I really needed to install the mockup engine so I could run all the fluid lines and controls, so I did that today. I got my engine hoist from the airport and it went on really easy. This allowed me to finish the oil temperature, primer fuel inlet line, and oil pressure line. I still have to fit the primer fuel outlet line.
    I also fitted the exhaust pipes to determine the drop necessary to clear the oil screen housing. With these measurements I will send both stacks off to Dawley for rebuild and modification. The muffler and tail pipe have already been rebuilt. The only original part they will use will be the formed double stack collector. I will measure again tomorrow, but it looks to me that the muffler needs to drop 1 inch.
I'm not sure how long this will take with the holidays coming. I will send them off tomorrow. I also fitted up the cowling. I was going to order a new cowl from Univair, but I think I can rebuild an acceptable one from the parts that I have.Since I want to install the F&M oil filter it would be a shame to cut up a brand new cowl.
You can see the filter housing in the picture above, it requires a hole to be cut in the side of the top cowl. The white filter sticking through looks like crap on a yellow Cub but I don't think it will be that noticeable on my white airplane. Here is the cowl installed, I will replace the fiberglass nose bowl with a rebuilt metal one.
 
It will take some sheet metal work but I think I can make this work OK. I also did some work on the wing root fairing, but I did not take any pictures. They will have to wait for the wings to be installed to be fitted . That's it for this week, I had hoped for more progress but the cold has slowed me down.

No comments: