Friday, June 10, 2011

Perseverance

Last night I baked the lifter covers in the oven and they were ready to install this morning. Since my lifters have the snap rings installed, I ground out some of the tab in the replacement covers. I did this free hand with a 5/8 inch carbide burr, so they are not all even.
Here is a shot of the inside, should be no interference now.
I installed these on the crankcase and I was back to the point where we started on Wednesday at 9 AM!!
My friend Scott showed up at 9 and we installed and torqued the cylinders. With all the practice we had that complete by 10. The rest of the day was spent installing the intake system and cleaning up a bunch of details.
Here are some shots I took at the end of the day.

If your wondering about the carburetor , I plan to build up another when I find my tub full of Strombergs. I want to see how this runs with the 44 main jet and the 55 main air bleed. It ran great on my Champ , but they can be finicky sometimes.
The engine is ready to go to the airport tomorrow, if I can find two helpers without bad backs. In the morning I will load up all the tools and hardware for the trip out to the hanger. The oversize pushrods will not be available until next week so I have some time to finish the installation. Should be running late next week or the week after for sure.

No comments: