Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Magnetos

I thought I had two fresh overhaul magnetos to install however I was wrong. The project came with two magnetos that had Savage Magneto stickers on them and they looked great. I decided to disassemble these for inspection and fresh grease, that's when things went downhill. The first mag had a damaged drive end bearing race and a worn out front case. The second was not as bad but had an obsolete distributor installed. Here they are disassembled.
  Yes , I think I can get these back together.
I ended up disassembling two more magneto cores I had in stock to get enough parts to build two good mags.Here is a shot of the drive end bearing race, looks like it might have been assembled with too much bearing pre-load? This requires a special bearing puller that I do not have(yet).
 The two Savage mags did have updated impulse couplings(snap ring style) That is a real plus.
This operation really took some time because I had to constantly review the manual. Would have been an easy job if I did it everyday. I still need to replace one drive seal and the part will not be here until Monday. I did manage to get them put back together.

The mag on the left is an old 51360-1 , looks a little rough but is in great shape inside. I will probably exchange the other two mags for Kelly Aerospace rebuilds, then keep these for spares. Sure does not look like 3 days work, well 1/2 days, it's yard work season.


No comments: