Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Carburetor

Today I started by working on the ignition harness. I had been given a nice Skytronics harness, however I came to realize that it would not fit the C-90 engine. It was made for an A-65 and one magneto fires the top plugs on one side and the bottom plugs on the other. On the  C-90 the timing is split so one mag fires all the top plugs and the other the bottom. The harness that came with the project was a Slick and since I have all the repair tools, I just fixed it as necessary. It is ready for installation, sorry no pictures of this operation.
  I then started on the carburetor.  When this engine was on my blue Champ, it ran fantastic, so I decided to retain the existing carburetor. Since it had been sitting for a while I opened it up for inspection and cleaning. The Stromberg manual requires the float level to be set wet with 0.710  specific gravity fuel at 0.5 psi pressure. I made this rig to meet this requirement.
It is 2 feet of 4 inch plastic pipe fitted with a end cap. I drilled a hole in the side and fitted the on/off valve. The hose runs over to the carb. fuel inlet. I calculated the fuel height by hand first at 19.49 inches for 0.5 psi, I then found this cool calculator online that made it real easy.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pflu.html#fp 

When the test is complete I use a battery service bulb to remove the fuel from the float chamber. I can then adjust the shims under the needle seat and retest. Works really good without much mess. The only thing I don't like is the static charge that sometimes builds up on the plastic pipe. If you stick your arm down inside the pipe all the hairs on your arm stand up ! I've been looking for some cheap aluminum pipe but have not found it yet.
I think I did this calculation correctly but I'm open for any corrections to my logic. I should finish the carburetor tomorrow morning. Right now my plan is to finish as much as possible before moving the engine to the airport. The heat is supposed to get really bad and it's much more comfortable to work in the garage.

No comments: