Sunday, June 12, 2011

In with the new

After the thunderstorms last night it was a beautiful morning today. The help showed up at 9 as arranged and we loaded the engine in the truck.
 We just removed  the bolts and laid it over onto Lynda's old seat cushion upside down.
Here it is ready to leave the shade tree engine shop.
 At the airport we put it right on the engine hoist. Here is the moving crew, JD , Scott , and you can see Buzz's foot.
So I had to take another picture.
I had everything ready so we hung the engine on the airframe. The sun beats in the hanger door in the morning so we knocked of till the afternoon. We got the engine mounted and the mount bolts torqued.

After  a couple hours I went back out and started hooking up systems. I finished the throttle and it works really smooth with the new rodend bearing. I may look for a slightly smaller safety washer but this one works fine.
I had to put some chafe protection where the throttle rubs on the bottom of the oil screen. This is a common problem area on Cubs. This shot is a little blurry but you can get the idea.
After this I completed the oil pressure line and installed the tachometer drive.

Then I completed the fuel system, the fuel line could have been an inch longer but this will be OK for now. With the fuel on no leaks noted.
The wire you see coming out of the cabin heat box at the far right is for my JPI digital tachometer. It has a pickup that screws into the magneto vent location and counts magnetic pulses. I will use this to back up the mechanical tach for the test flights. It runs on a 9 volt battery.
I installed the primer line and this completes the fuel system.

You can see that I also installed the carburetor heat control. I will search tonight for an all metal clamp for this location, I do not like a rubber cushioned clamp here. This cable will probably have to be moved around to clear the exhaust so this is just temporary.
I also got the cotter pins in all the engine mount bolts and installed the Brackett Air Filter. I installed the eyebrows but they rub slightly on the rocker covers and will need to be modified. I marked them and will work on them tomorrow morning . It is supposed to cool off for the next 3 days, hope to get the exhaust and cowling fitted.

No comments: