Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Engine Day 3

I was hoping to assemble the cylinders today but ran into a small roadblock. I realized this morning that I did not have the 24030 valve springs I needed to convert these -A11  0-200 cylinders to -A13 C-90 configuration. I thought I had them but all I could find were the inner and middle springs. The C-90 uses a different outer valve spring and through experience with the Trojan it will not run right with the 0-200 spring installed. I ordered the springs from Aircraft Specialties , should be here next Tuesday. With that on hold I went to work on the accessory section. First I installed the crankshaft and camshaft gears.
This sets the internal timing by the alignment of the gears. Here you can see the marks properly lined up. You can just see the timing marks just behind the safety wire.

After this I cleaned up the accessory housing and assembled the oil pump.
I then installed the rear case . I have a Skytec starter for this airplane but for now I just went with the cover plate. With those little wings I'm sure this airplane will be weight sensitive.  I painted all these parts last summer, so they were all ready to bolt on.
At the left is the starter cover plate, the two empty holes are for the mags, the tachometer drive is in the center with the generator cover plate just to the right. The hole for the oil screen is at the back right. 

After dinner I went out and installed the tappet covers, the intake spider and the oil sump and check fitted all the cylinder hold down nuts. On close inspection I was not happy with the oil pick up tube, I will look for a decent one tomorrow.


I still need to clean up and measure the cylinders  before installation.


I could have had the engine on this week if I had not screwed up on the valve springs. I still have plenty of details on the airframe and engine to complete before the springs get here.

No comments: