Tuesday, June 7, 2011

More Carburetor

Since the painting is never done I started today by painting a few items I had forgotten. I then finished the assembly of the Stromberg carburetor, you can tell when your finished because the weight of the safety wire equals the weight of the carb.! There is no good way to hold  the thing while you safety wire, I usually end up with it between my knees. I really need to make up a fixture to hold the sucker while I work on it. With that finished I assembled the carb. to the intake spider and installed the new carb. heat box.
You can see the two heat strips I installed on the oil sump. The one I installed on the Trojan burned out(different brand) so I went with two this time.
Right now the mixture control is safety wired to the full rich position. I will fly it a little to see if I need to install a cockpit control, this back suction type mixture is not really very effective anyway.
I spent the rest of the afternoon getting the cylinders ready for installation. The UPS man brought my valve springs so they got installed. I removed the 0-200 P/N 625958 springs and installed the C-90 P/N 24030 springs. The 0-200 springs have a larger wire diameter and about 20 lbs more tension. My friend Scott is coming by tomorrow at 9 and the cylinders will be going on. Not sure how much will get done tomorrow because the temperature is supposed to hit 97. With any luck, I should have engine pictures tomorrow .

No comments: