Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Trojan Cover Mods

I got a brainstorm on how to improve the cover for the Trojan, and spent the day Friday working on a prototype. The cover fits perfect except  for the front section. My plan is to make that in two parts, the windshield and the forward fuselage. Both are flat , two dimensional curves. The wind died down a little today so I went out with my paper and tools to make some patterns. Here is the windshield pattern.
This pattern extends from the first seam on the cover at the top of the windshield to the point where the windshield meets the fuselage. I used old masking paper from painting the Cub wings. I then fitted a paper pattern to the fuselage, here is a picture.
The yellow masking tape marks the edge of the cover when installed.
Here it is all together.

This mod would add one seam at the base of the windshield, the remainder of the cover would stay the same. I tried to get Scott's mother in law to sew up a test section using the blue test cover we made initially , however she said the material was too thick for her machine. So, Monday I sent all this data to Kennon and Joe said he would check with his designer and get back to me.
Saturday , Scott and I spent all day at the Richmond FSDO IA mechanic refresher seminar. The highlight of the day was the gay guy that talked about batteries for two hours. The guy was very knowledgeable , but it was kinda like listening to Elmer Fudd talk about batteries.
Sunday , I took the Trojan back to Wakefield and I'm glad I did, we have had thunderstorms every day this week. 

No comments: