Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rod's Cub

Yesterday , Scott and I spent a marathon day finishing the installation of  a Don's dream machine motor in Rod's Cub. We had spent several days working on this and his exhaust had to go back to Dawley 3 times so the project dragged out. The motor looked really nice and at $8250 exchange it was not really a bad deal and comes with a warranty.   We really took some extra time and corrected a lot of items that were potential trouble areas. Rod was a good sport and was willing to do it right. Here is the work in process, we rerouted the lower spark plug wires for better support after this shot was taken. Not sure about those yellow tie wraps?
Here's Scott working on the carb heat control while Rod supervises. Since he upgraded to an A75 engine he had to buy a new propeller. I bought his old (but recently rebuilt) 12 lamination 72CK44 prop .
Here is the happy crew just before the roll out for the flame test. It was a little chilly on Tuesday the coveralls are the bomb.
The moment of truth, started on the second pull.
It was too late and windy to fly, but I heard he flew today with no problems. Supposed to be really nice through the weekend so he should get some time on it before S&F Cub convoy.
Today I helped Buzz get his Cub ready for the long trip to Florida. He wanted to do the rope procedure on his #2 cylinder. I can do this in 20 minutes now because I do the #2 cylinder on the Trojan at every annual now. On disassembly I was surprised it had not stuck already it was really stiff in the guide. Buzz says that all but two people have backed out of the group flight down to S&F. If you know anybody going that would like to go down with some company drop me a note and I will put them in touch.

No comments: