Friday, January 7, 2011

In the beginning

Sorry folks the cold and some car issues has really slowed progress on the Cub. Been working on a few detail items, compass card and other panel placards, mag switch wiring, etc. Today I fitted the eyebrows and worked on the throttle routing. Dawley called and the exhaust is complete and on the way back. They were able to use my original collector stampings so it should look good. They cost as much as a set of new pipes from WagAero, which are made from round tubes. Hopefully I measured everything correctly and it will all fit !
 
This project all started when I spotted the Cub in an Ebay ad. It was tied outside at the Mount Olive Airport in eastern North Carolina. On Jan 7, 2007 I flew down in the well used Trojan to look it over before bidding.
Well it's been 4 years to the day and it still is not flying ! Without doubt she is much better off than she was then.
It was a sad situation, caught in a dispute between a mechanic and the owner, she ended up tied outside with no engine, flat tires , and no tailwheel. All the removed parts were just thrown into the cockpit. Luckily the engine was stored inside a hanger.My friend Bill met me for lunch and we looked her over pretty good. It was really not in that bad of shape, and definitely need a new home/owner.




Hopefully 2011 will see her take to the sky again ??!!

No comments: