Saturday, April 28, 2012

Va EAA Flyin

Today I flew the Cub down to Suffolk, VA for the VA EAA flyin. With a stationary front laying along the VA-NC border the weather forecast was for rain showers in the afternoon so the turnout was light and mostly local. I had a beautiful smooth flight down with a high overcast keeping the temperature a little on the cool side. Here are a few pictures from the day.


I was parked between a Pietenpol and a 1965 7ECA Citabria, down the line is a British Bulldog , a Lancair, and a C-195. you can see the cloudy skies. There was a cold North East wind also. Here's the little Citabria , I've always liked these, this one was a little rough.



The highlight of the day was getting to sit in one of the "new" built ME-262's at the fighter factory hangar. My friend Scott knows the Chief pilot there. I forgot to get a picture of me in it. It is just like the original F-18, "one man, one hour, one bomb" . With only 400 gal fuel and 2 CJ-610 engines, and no RVSM you would be out of fuel in about an hour! Here's Mike and Scott.



I spotted this in the Ultralight area, just where you want to see pipe wrench marks, on the Jesus nut that holds the prop !! For goodness sake buy the right wrench !!


I spotted this in the RV area. I'm not sure if he wanted this effect or if he F'ed up??  Not sure you can really see it in the pictures but the skin was sunken in between the ribs, like a fabric airplane.




How did he do this ? It looks like a plywood covered wing after 20 years. You can see the effect in the reflection in this shot.



There was also this nice Pietenpol over in the camping section.


I left right after the Parade of Flight at 1:30 but I stayed too long and got caught in some rain about 15 south of Williamsburg. I turned this into an opportunity to clean up the Cub so she got a sponge bath and towel dry in the hangar. Since the airport is on wet lands the EPA says we can't wash airplanes.
That's about it  for VA EAA,  nice flight down, great pancake breakfast with good friends, low turn out but some nice aeroplanes. They were actually lucky , it could have been a complete wash out.

No comments: