Monday, January 9, 2012

Five years ago

The date January 7, 2012 marked the five year anniversary of the day I flew the Trojan down to Mount Olive airport to inspect the Clipwing Cub . The owner had her listed on Ebay and it would have been imprudent to bid without an actual inspection. It was a calm clear warm high overcast day and my friend Bill drove over from Kinston to take me to lunch.
 

With a near perfect weather forcast for Jan. 7, 2012 I decided to fly the Cub down to get a few "after" photos. This is the first long cross-country for the Cub, a whopping 121 miles! With the warm 65 degree temp came a stiff SW wind that slowed progress down to 65 mph with continous turbulence. With only 12 gal.  I stopped at Ahoskie for fuel.


 
I waited at Ahoskie until 3 then took off for 66NC Hood Field. With plenty of fuel I climbed over the bumps at 3000 ft and had almost the same speed with smooth air. I landed at Hood just after 4PM to RON. (remain over night) . Bill flew the Cub for one short flight and pronounced her AOK. We found space for the Cub under the tractor shed and put her away for the night.


I then got a quick tour of the Aircam project before we called it a day. I pronounce the Aircam Super AOK!
 
 


 



The next morning I headed over to Mount Olive, I was surprised when the lineman remembered the airplane. He helped me re-create the "famous" pickle shot.  Here is Bill and Myron on the day we picked up the project.

   
Here she is 5 years later with a new lease on life.


I pushed the Cub over to her original resting spot for some before and after shots.











That's all the time I have tonight, more pictures and the trip home tomorrow.

No comments: