Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I'm back

The new Dell arrived today and it's up and running. The Cub is finished and flying and I have about 12 hours on it now. The first flight was on the evening of June 24, 2011. I flew for 1 hour and everything went smooth. I have had some problems during the test period, but they are slowly getting worked out. I will go back to June 18 and pick up where I left off. With the computer inop. I did not take as many pictures as usual so it will be a little jumpy. When I left off I was waiting for the magneto drive seals to arrive. I installed these and finished the magneto overhauls . Here are a few shots, the first is during setting the "E" gap (point gap) using the Bendix tool.
In this shot the mags are ready for installation, I ended up using the old harness from the Champ engine. The blue leads really do not look that bad. You can see the Lone Star Aviation magneto filters installed to reduce ignition noise from the radio, more on that later.
At this point everything started to come together and I was working at the airport every day. Here is a shot of the left side with the mags , exhaust and lower cowl installed. I have one plug in and I'm fitting the eyebrows for the ignition leads.
In this shot of the right side you can see the eyebrow fitted. I made a mistake here in that the test engine had flat valve covers and these are the flanged type. There were some areas where the eyebrows rubbed on the valve covers, so they had to be relieved for a little clearance. I managed this without messing up the paint too much.

 Here is the exhaust pipe fitted. It's a little closer to one side but not too bad.
The air filter fits good should not be any problems with rubbing here.
I had to manufacture the left front cowl pin mount. The one I bought from Univair was for a C-65 engine and the crankcase is different on the C-85/90 engine. This left pin bracket sets the cowl location and the right pin is free to float for alignment. It took some time but it came out pretty good.
Here's a few shots of the cowl fitted. I still need to finish the eyebrows, run the ignition leads, finish the "P" leads, and make the breather tube plus a 100 other items.




No comments: